We, as humans, tend to focus more on the things we DON’T have, versus the things we DO have.
Common statements are:
“I don’t have a backhand.”
“I don’t have enough money to pay the bills.”
“I don’t have the iPhone 4.”
One of the best things you can do to become happier and more successful is cultivate gratitude.
Focus on the things you DO have.
Here’s what you do:
1. Make a list. At the top, write, “I am grateful for…”
2. Create three columns.
3. Name the columns, “Things,” “People,” and “Other”
4. In the column of “Things,” write down any material possessions you are thankful for; in the column of “People,” write the names of people you are thankful for; and in the column of “Other,” write down anything that doesn’t fall into the other two categories (i.e., health, job, education).
5. Read your list 4 times a day (after lunch, after dinner, before bed, first thing in the morning).
6. Do this for a week and see if you feel any different.
Let me know your reactions.
What else would you write in the “Other” category?